Monday, September 4, 2023

If I ever touched you with a harsh word, if I offended you - please forgive me, signd Goldszmit - Korczak´s letter published in the Report of the Society Help for Children for the year 1930-1931.




MY ANSWER TO THE LETTER

I was supposed to write this year in the introduction to the Report on the subject, past pupils. Maybe, I can write an excerpt from Codyk's letter (so much longing and serene resignation in it): - Apparently, because of the exhibition, railways will be cheap, - he writes from Paris. I am collecting centimes to come to Warsaw for at least four days and visit the Orphanage Dom Sierot. Maybe boast of a joyful letter from Rózka from New York (with a photo of his son): - Life is so beautiful, the world is so joyful, and the people are good, she writes.

... And here I found your letter. I read critically at first, distrustfully. But my heart is beating harder and harder. And a tear... one... two... fourth.

Finally - three of your lovely pieces of advice, dictated by laboriously gained experience. God bless you, dear boy, for taking care of our children and….. kitchens.

My request: If I ever touched you with a harsh word, if I offended you - please forgive me.

Signed: Goldszmit

Korczak published his letter (parts cited abowe) to the former orphan at the Dom Sierot now living abroad.

in Report of the Society Help for Children for the year 1930-1931, mentions to former children from the Orphanage Dom Sierot, now living abroad: Rozia from New York and Cudyk from Paris, both unknown for me.

Korczak writes in the letter: On the other hand, "Nacia urges: report in print, introduction needed" - it is probably Nacia Poz who worked parttime as teacher and at the office of Dom Sierot at 92 Krochmalna in Warszawa. with whom Pan Misza, a bursa student, later teacher. flirted at summer camps in Gocławek, according to. letters from former students. Nacia Poz was murdered in Treblinka on August 5, 1942.