Saturday, October 12, 2024

Dedication from May 18th 2016 - For Roman who has Korczak in Your blood and also in Your Hart - Marcia Talmage Schneider.

For Roman who has Korczak in Your blood and also in Your Hart - Marcia Talmage Schneider


It was Wednesday, May 18th, 2016 when I met Marcia Talmage Schneider just outside the Met. It was
the Met Fifth Avenue and it was a hot sunny day.
Marcia Talmage Schneider had with her book Janusz Korczak: Sculptor of Children's Souls. She just wrote it.
I liked the title a lot, it was a description of Korczak and his pedagogy. We talk about common friends from Boston, Robert Lifton and his late wife Betty Jean Lifton who wrote the Korczak biography that I like most.
I told her that I just revisited Korczak and the children, the sculpture at the 5th Avenue Synagogue. Kind of the custom I have when visiting the Big Apple. She told me that she went to Israel and met there ten eyewitnesses - actually ten former orphans and teachers who worked at the Korczak Orphanage.
Dedication from Marcia:
For Roman who has Korczak in Your blood and also in Your Heart.
She asked me to look at some pages where she described (on page 165, not accurately) my father "Pan Misha" who worked at the Orphanage during the years 1931-1942. Her description on page 144, is, however, correct.