Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Korczak was deeply saddened - the Jews, the Poles and the Germans


Betty Lifton wrote: 

Yet Korczak was deeply saddened that the bridge he and his family had devoted themselves to building between the Jews and the Poles could be so effectively sabotaged by the Germans

He wrote in his diary. "How easy it is for two criminals to team up for nefarious purposes, but how impossible for a collaboration between two peoples who share the same values but are separated from each other by different histories."

My father Misza Wasserman Wróblewski who worked with Korczak between 1931-1942, wrote and told me the same, that Korczak was deeply saddened by the antisemitism in Poland and that there was no way to fight it. That was the situation in late thirties. The short story Cinema, that my father wrote support this. 

Therefore, I wonder about above mentioned sentences in Korczaks Ghetto Diary that he wrote during last three months of his life. Did he really ment the Germans?


My father Misza Wasserman Wróblewski worked with Korczak between 1931-1942

Futhermore my father told me that the outbreak of the war in a way revitalized Korczak.