Friday, January 31, 2020

The attic of the Hermit - How big was Korczaks room at 92 Krochmalna

I was always thinking about Korczaks room as little and dark. May be that was due to my father that described Korczak living there as a Hermit.

As I was missing for years the architectural plans of Korczak's attic /loft on 92nd Krochmalna in Warsaw, I am trying now to draw them by myself on the paper and in my mind.

I was always thinking about Korczaks room as little and dark. May be that was due to my father that described Korczak living there as a Hermit.

There are many pictures of Korczaks attic room taken from outside. None from inside. In the old pictures of Krochmalna 92, one can see the characteristic mansarde at the building´s front facade.

There are written descriptions but how accurate are them concerning the size they are?

When looking at old pictures I found out that Korczak´s room was huge. The width of the room was the same, counting number of windows as the base or the girls bedrooms below - 4 windows. The depth of Korczaks room is difficult to establish as there were other room at the attic. The attic at Krochmalna has been specially adapted to dry large loads of laundry, had a mangle and cabinets to store clothes, blankets, clothes as well as fruits and vegetables brought from Rózyczka.




Janusz Korczak stayed at 92 Krochmalna for 20 years until 1932, when it moved into the his sisters apartment at 42nd Żurawia Street and thereafter to 8 Zlota street..