Monday, September 2, 2024

Korczaks Orphans - Future Citizens

"Future Citizens" - from the collection of Garden Cities and Town Planning Assoc. held by Town & Country Planning Assoc. London. (founded 1899).

My contact with Holocaust children is very, very special. I am keeping simultaneously two separate images. One is the image of a child at the end of WWII, and the second is of a mature person.

The first image is rather complicated as it comprises two different images. This phenomenon can be directly compared to the image of a certain character when reading a book and thereafter confronting the same character in the movie or the play.

There is also a third image, actually from literature and movies about a poor, looking miserable orphan in institutional clothes. My third view was just following my father's stories when he was a part of the committee responsible for the decision to accept new orphans to the Korczaks Dom Sierot - "The Orphans' Home". He was representing the directly, the Orphanage and Janusz Korczan and two other persons Stella Eliasberg and Ferber were representing Towarzystwo "Pomoc dla Sierot" - “Help for Orphans” Society that was responsible for the Orphanage.

Another factor that added to my view of orphans was the surroundings, both the war and old buildings. Scenery from movies with threatening music.

The first "real orphans" I saw were children from Dom Dziecka in Warszawa in the building of Korczaks prewar Dom Sierot. They looked exactly like me.

My "children" are usually 10-15 years older and the youngest one is born as I, during forties. Some of the children are pure main while numerous others I inherited through my father. This group is the children, former pupils from the Korczaks´Orphanage Dom Sierot.