Sunday, October 15, 2023

Secrets in the attic in Oslo - Genizah.

Genizah is the Jewish custom of storing away worn-out ritual objects and sacred texts in a place where they can disintegrate naturally – usually in a synagogue attic. Therefore after WWII, genizah research was run in the attics of synagogues in Europe.

However, in the little house in Oslo Norway, Jewish items were recently found. Sensational findings, documents of three Holocaust survivors, actually passports hidden in the isolation layer in the attic.  The isolation has not been touched since the house was built in the late 30-ties or 40-ties wrote to me Petter Andersen. He sent me the photos below. I promised him photos of my uncle and auntie from the USA. They are stored on "DVD".

Following I found on HSA - Holocaust Social Archive [ארכיון השואה]

Petter Andersen Oslo, Norge
Greetings from Oslo, Norway.

We have recently found three Polish passports from 1947, that were hidden in old isolation in the attic of our house in Oslo. The house was built in 1948, and the isolation has been untouched since then.

The three passports turned out to be from three Polish Jewish refugees, that are registered in the "Holocaust Survivors and Victims Database".

The names are:
Zachariasz Awerbuch born in 1918 in Poland (husband)
Esta / Ester Kesselbrenner / Kesselbrenner-Awerbuch born in 1926 from Poland (wife)
Gabriel / Gabriel Awerbuch was born in 1888 in Poland (father of Zachariasz)

We wish to try to find out what happened to them after 1948, as we do not know, and we wonder why they left their three passports behind. So we are looking for information on possible relatives, or any other information. It would be much welcomed.
Thank you very much!

I knew that all "Jewish items" that were recently found in Oslo, were documents of my Holocaust family. I met my auntie Esta just a few weeks ago in New York.

I wrote: My Holocaust family. They left for the USA. I met Esta last month in New York. She is just great and the only woman alive who was carrying me. Of course when I was a child.

Someone asked: First, this is amazing. What I do not understand is why hiding a passport issued 2 years after the end of WWII?

I wrote to "Auntie Esta" and she answered:
Dear Romek.
It's unbelievable that you got info about these documents. How did you do it?
I remember that Zarki's father hid the passports in the attic and I couldn't understand why he did it.
When did you return from Israel and how did you spend your time there? 
It's tragic what's happening there and I don't know how it will end
I am waiting for a response.
Kisses e.a.